Canada Day, 2015, we hosted our second annual Sandcastle Competition at White Rock Beach. As always with our events we try to incorporate the whole community with something for everyone. In sponsoring the Kids Zone, we had the pleasure of working with so many that helped out this year to make this Canada Day our best yet. The South Surrey Smiles Kids Zone brought in a variety of fun activities including face painting, balloon twisting, caricature artist, henna tattoo artist, 2 bouncy castles, arts & crafts and even a Photo Booth. Behind the grill was the White Rock Fire Department cooking up a storm with hot dogs and hamburgers for all that joined, and of course our team at South Surrey Smiles to help make the memories last. We had 100 teams building sandcastles on the beach this year with 3 grand prize winners.
• 1st place was an amazing octopus encompassing a heart. The family took home a camping set including a new tent, sleeping bags, and chairs.
• 2nd place was a very detailed alligator. Three brothers put this masterpiece together and took home a new BBQ as their prize.
• 3rd place was a big moose head built by a mother and her 2 children who moved a lot of sand for this one! They took home a new swimming pool for their prize that they will be able to enjoy this summer.
Judging was especially tough this year, there were so many castles and sculptures that all truly deserved a prize. The families who shared in this special day enjoyed the time they spent together the most. All participants came together at the end to join us in singing our national anthem followed by a celebration with festive cupcakes. Thank you to everyone that helped make this day such a great success, and congratulations to all that entered the competition. It really was a creative year with many great sandcastles. Take a look through our photos from our event and don’t forget to keep an eye out for our next community events on our Events Page.
Dr. Lesley Williams is a Certified Specialist in Orthodontics. She grew up in Victoria, BC with her parents and two sisters.
After being awarded her Doctor of Medical Dentistry (DMD) degree in 1989, Dr. Williams then spent six years as a dentist in general practice before deciding that she wanted to further her education by undertaking three extra years of highly specialized training in orthodontics. With her Masters in Science (Orthodontics) degree under her belt, she went on to sit the Orthodontic Specialty Fellowship exams through the Royal College of Dentists of Canada. To date, her status as an active leader in the orthodontic profession means that she holds the following qualifications and positions:
- Certified Specialist in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada
- Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics
- Examiner for the Royal College of Dentists of Canada and the American Board of Orthodontics.
- Former president of the Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontists (representing 2900 orthodontists from the 4 western Canadian provinces and 8 western American states).
- Active member of the Edward H. Angle Society of Orthodontists.